Thursday, May 13, 2010

What is my purpose?

I used to author another blog but I grew tired of it. The blog had run it's course for a good 5 years. So why start anew? I don't know except that I was suffering from a lack of motivation and direction. Plus, the old blog had become huge and unwieldy. Trying to find old posts or information I wanted to look over again was next to impossible. But A new blog is like opening a brand spanking new sketch pad to the very first blank page. A blank page is full of exciting possibilities just waiting to be given shape, form and texture.

My old tired and now retired blog had started with the intention of tackling head on the American Dream-specifically my vision of it- that became more of an eclectic day to day wandering thing that eventually tapered off to basically just photos and few words. Photos are dandy but without a story with them what's the point of even blogging? But the blog I suppose had served it's purpose to show me that the American Dream is just that, a dream. What I blogged about was LIFE. And life is far bigger then me or anyone passing through reading this blog and it's very real. Life will often hit you head on right in the face if you are not watching where you are going or it can wither away slowly or it can even be ripped away from someone violently in seconds...All the while the American dream you keep grasping for but it alludes you, it lures you on but do you ever reach the destination you've dreamed of? Can you ever reach it? I think not. We all evolve everyday and so the dream ever evolves as well.

I was a lonely transplant to Indiana when I started the old blog. I felt like an alien invader, lost, plopped into a strange and mystifying culture and landscape. In a way, the old blog helped me to feel more connected to Indiana and this new life. What started out as an American dream quickly became a case of American survivor. And so as an American survivor, I wonder day to day if my job will disappear, hope that I can get the bills paid on time each month, and I do what I can to enjoy what I have even if that means living in a trailer park, just surviving.

Once upon a time I thought that one needed to seek out the real America. Take a long walk across the country, perhaps. You hear stories of folks who do this once in a while. I listened to Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens and other songwriters that sang of the real folk's struggles and experiences. But really, how far do you need to walk to see and experience the spirit of America? The spirit of America is in every home, and every American...no matter the economic standing they should find themselves in. But it's especially noticeable in these uncertain economic times which will either break someone or build their character in surprising ways.

So that is what my new blog will focus on. Just life. Life around here as I enjoy the little things and keep my eyes open so that I miss none of it. I will talk about my garden. I will talk about the woods. I will talk about the struggles of my neighbors and my town. I will offer plants and crafts for sale or barter that I've raised or created with my own blood, sweat and tears in hopes of maybe helping to make ends meet, or at least to partially fund my plant addiction with. But most importantly I am talking about my story.

Welcome to just a single-wide trailer, one of many, in an Indiana town.

No comments:

Post a Comment