Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wintergreen



Gaultheria procumbens  is a plant that has been on my wish list for a while for my edible landscape. I found it today while I was at the farm picking up rhubarb. It was a bit on the pricey side for a 3.5" pot but it HAS been on my wish list so I went ahead and splurged on one. The leaves have a nice pleasant wintergreen scent when I break a leaf. It's a plant that is used as medicine and as a flavoring. I believe I read somewhere that the native Americans used it to treat the pain of arthritis as it has aspirin properties.
5/16/10
And look at this! I have a liverwort in the pot as well. :) Liverworts are COOL. They are not at all like the usual plants most of us are familiar with. These little guys are not VASCULAR,  and are ancient. They are the evolutionary step after aquatic algae, to put it simply. I haven't seen too many of them around here so I was happy to see this little hitchhiker. I could be wrong, but I believe this to be Lumularia cruciata. I am no expert though so if that's wrong, let me know.

6/6/10
Wintergreen flower buds.

6/16/10
Flowers

8/4/10
berries

No comments:

Post a Comment