Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bee Balm

Monarda didyma Panorama  Bee balm. I started the plants from seed. I have lavender, pink, and light pink. The reseed themselves a little in the garden, but not enough to be a pest. This is one I dug up and potted in a 4.5" container and it's doing great. I do not know what color it is yet. I plan on taking more cuttings  of the mature plants. . They get fairly tall, 3.5-4 feet depending on soil moister. Bees and hummingbirds love the flowers. The leaves have a strong musty mint smell when rubbed and are edible as a pot herb or as tea. Flowers can be added to salads.

5/14/10
Bee balm tea:  1 tsp. dried herb, add 1 cup boiling water, steep 10 min. sweeten to taste.

6/4/10
The seeding is well rooted. I need to transfer it to a larger pot now as it's drying to fast and growing like crazy. Will move it to a gallon size and will have to change the price to reflect that. If it doesn't sell at the upcoming plant yard sale I will grow it on until fall then plant it in the garden somewhere. I can always find a place. By then maybe I will see what color it is.

6/6/10
The seedling is budding up as are the ones in the garden.

6/16/10
starting to bloom

6/19/10
Photobucket

6/21/10


7/3/10

Purple
Photobucket
Purple and Pink together.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment