Saturday, July 17, 2010

Beet

Beet Detroit Dark Red

Having never really grown beets before, I gave it a try with Detroit dark red. I planted seeds in very early spring in good rich compost soil. Now I'm reaping the rewards. I will try some steamed, roasted and I want to pickle some too. I love picked beets.

7/10/10
Pickled beets

First you've gotta harvest them. Pull them from the garden and try to rinse as much of the dirt off outside as you can.
Photobucket
Next you have to clean them up even more by cutting off all but an inch of the stems..don't cut the tap root off yet. They will look kinda ugly. Well, at least mine did.
Photobucket
It's recommended that you separate them into sizes for boiling. Big ones with big ones and small ones all together as they take different amounts of time to cook.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I boiled them until the skins were tender enough to be easily peeled.
Photobucket
The peels should be easy to just rub off and the tops and tap roots will come right off too.
Photobucket
The pickling solution should simmer for 15 minutes. The cinnamon sticks made the house smell really good.
Photobucket
Pack the beets into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/4" head space, add the solution and get any air bubbles out. Wipe the rims with a warm clean cloth then put the heated/sterilized lids on and screw the rings finger tight.
Photobucket
6 pint jars fit in my stock pot and they boiled for a while.
Photobucket
I carefully took them out and set them on a towel to cool. The lids sealed quickly.
This is the finished product, all I have to do now is eat it.
Photobucket
6/16/10
Harvested a couple beets.

No comments:

Post a Comment