Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grape



Vitis labrusca- Concord Grape
I have 2 of these vines growing on the pillars of my patio that I planted a couple years ago. Not only am I hoping for nice fruit, but a nice screen for the patio that will make it feel more private and shady.

6/3/10


6/4/10

I pruned back some unruly vines I did not want growing near the ground. I decided to make cuttings with these and filled a large pot with soil and stuck stems into it. If they root, great! If not, no big loss. I've never started grape from cuttings before. If they do start I may make another trellis on the other side of the yard or sell the young plants.

I also tied the main vines to the training wires but need just a little more wire for one more vine. They do a pretty good job of using tendrils to cling but when the winds come through, it always knocks them all down and I lose some to breakage. Not this time. No way Jose. The wind is thy enemy and I will win this battle.

Noticed an aphid on one of the vines but did not see others. I'll have to keep an eye out but I'm sure the lady bugs which I often see hanging out on the grape vines are keeping the numbers in check.


6/11/10


6/16/10


6/22/10

Note: The cuttings I took of the grape all failed!

7/28/10

No comments:

Post a Comment