Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hens N Chicks


I  the one without the fuzz is Sempervivum 'Emerald Empress' but I am unsure of the name of the fuzzy one. The purple grows and spreads very fast and I have them living in planted old shoes and rocks. They are very hardy and I would love other kinds of Hens and Chicks. But they do not like moist conditions so I must grow them in containers. Every year the mother plants send up flower stalks with very pretty and unusual flowers that the pollinators love. I need to thin the herd so I am putting some up for sale or barter. I would love to trade for other types of hens. I have a few separate larger hens potted in 4" containers or I can sell a clump of smaller chicks that can be separated and planted on their own and they will grow larger--to about 3.5 inches in diameter before they start sending out chicks.

6/4/10

6/6/10


6/24/10

 7/10/10
Photobucket


I found the name of the fuzzy one in my notes from 2007. Semervivum archnoideum 'Cebernese'

6/6/10

SHOES make the best planting container for hens and chicks!
6/6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment