Saturday, July 17, 2010

Accountability

Hello, it's been a while since i've blogged. I call this the summer 'bug' where thoughts are more outside and I spend a lot less time blogging. But here's the deal. I just read a new blog post about accountaiblity here: Thrifty And Green. Go check it out. Using a blog as accountability is a great idea.

So in the spirit of accountability, I am going to try my darndest to post a real blog post once a week (if not more when I feel like it). I don't want to be a burnt out blogger though so once a week is plenty.

For now, there are lots of things I really need to be held accountable for. Please feel free to YELL at me for getting behind in things. ;)

1) the garden update. It's a ungodly mess right now. Weeds everywhere, taller then me. I need to get things pulled, turned over, composted, replanted, etc. I need to make myself WATER everyday, at least the pots. We've had hellish heat for weeks now. This has got to be the worst summer ever in the history of this area. In all truthfulness, I had been promised a couple loads of free mulch from the housing association....but that never came. I was going to use that to smother weeds with and since it never came, I never weeded. OOPS. So I am going to go bed by bed when I get a free moment and try to get one done a week. I know my beds are not big, but my time especially this time of year is very limited. I work so many hours at the hospital, then there is taking care of the critters, running errands, house cleaning chores, and of course taking walks in the woods and the occasional skinny dip at the river when no one is about.

2) Harvesting. I have done some harvesting but don't go looking at my zucchini plants please. You will be shocked by the monsters within. I really NEED to do something with them.
When I finally started harvesting my lettuce, they were too bitter, they were wasted. I've harvested and eaten zucs, I made beet pickles, eaten raspberries, blueberries and apricots. My first tomatoes are ripening as I type. I will not let them go to waste this year! And I have a bumper crop or elderberries just starting to show color. I plan on making jelly with them. I can't wait!

3) Going green. Shame on me. Where to even begin?? I'm really going to have to come up with a plan of action.

So starting TOMORROW. Sundays will be Accountability Day. (I usually have Sundays off of work). I will chose a garden bed to work on (and post a horrifying picture that will make you hide in your mother's bed under the covers), do something with my harvest, and try to attempt something that will green up our lives. Even if I cannot get on the Internet on Sundays, I will sit down with pen and paper and record what I am doing to keep myself on track. Sundays will be the day I try to get my week's baking in, canning, and meal planning as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment