Sunday, July 18, 2010

My one day off for the week.

Being as it is my one day off from work and Sunday, my accountability day, I had plenty to keep my hands full. First and foremost was dealing with the giant scary zucchinis. There were so many of them, and they were so big I could not carry them all inside, I had to take several armful loads. Luckily I was able to trick  convince my neighbor to take some off my hands. Still, I have more then I know what to do with so tonight they will be our dinner, at least the smallest one will be, as a zucchini boat. Another I shredded up for bread and freezing, yet another will be cubed and dehydrated, and one will be going to work with Mike to trick  give to someone there as Mike likes to "brag about his wife's garden" and I know how much those folks make in pay there and they could use any free vegetables. I used to work there, that's how I know!

Next was dealing with my rose hips. I had planted my rugosa rose seeds a few years back because I had heard how healthy and wonderful the hips were. So now I had a bunch of hips but not quite enough yet to make Jelly as they do not ripen all at once. So I picked what I could this morning, cut off the ends, washed and boiled them until I could squeeze the juice from them. I only got about a cup and a half and put it in a jar to freeze for the time being. I've never made jelly before so this should be a good learning experience. I have made jam once, strawberry jam that never set right.

I picked some tomatoes too, the first of the year. And boy did I have a bunch of them. Reliable early girls and the new to me black cherries. They are very pretty. As my pantry is a bit bare right now, I could not make a BLT with them until I went to the store so I went to K-mart as they were having a 4 days sale and I intended to spend no more then 20 on food items. I spent 19.27 in fact (we are a bit short on funds until my pay day) and got makings for biscuits, eggs, bacon, a seedless watermelon (I splurged there), garlic bread from teh bakery clearance rack, potatoes, and 12 packs of ramen noodles, 1 lb ground beef, and some shredded cheese for my zucchini boats. I should be able to survive the week easily with that and what I have remaining in my pantry.

I came home and made my biscuits and some bacon and sliced tomatoes for lunch. The first tomato of the year is a near orgasmic experience. They were good, and the terrible wife that I am made Mike eat some biscuit BLTs too for his lunch. Horrible horrible wife making her husband eat veggies. *big grin* He complains but he will eat what ever I hand him. That's OK though, I will reward him with more zucchini muffins which he has ordered me to make. *another big grin*

After lunch, I got busy turning the rose hips into juice. I read how on the Internet. The computer is actually a useful time waster sometimes. When that was boiling, I shredded zucchini but realized Mike had used the last baggies up so I could not put them in the freezer yet. He will pick me some up tomorrow so for now they are in the fridge.

For dinner, I am making the boats, using GARLIC and TOMATOES and of course ZUCCHINI from the garden, with watermelon for desert and after all that I will make some zuc muffins which don't take long to mix up at all.

And before I forget, I did promise to start posting and cleaning up my *garden of shame*. Here is the first one, I chose a small one as my week is going to be a busy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment