Thursday, July 22, 2010

The weekend is almost here...

Oh boy, I have so much to do in the next three days! It's INSANITY, and certainly a bit of panic and running around in circles. On top of my normal chores that I do everyday and work, here are the things I hope to get done:

Friday- I have lots of preweekend errands to run before work. I have to drop the computer off for repairs. I have to get more canning stuff like jars. I have to pick all the tomatoes that have decided to ripen all at once, along with elderberries and more rose hips. I will not have time to process them before work. I have to run to the P.O. and mail off bills after getting money orders for said bills from the bank. UGH. IF I have time I will get my canning supplies while I am near walmart. I DO have to get some shredded zucchini into the freezer that I have in the fridge. I have my baggies now.

Saturday- I plan on going to the Porter County Fair. I have no idea how long that will take, it may be an all day thing for me so I have nothing else planned to do that day. Mike had to work the whole weekend so I will be going by myself. I think the exhibits would bore him anyway. I hope to get home in time to work in the garden a bit before the sun goes down.

Sunday- I will be working furiously in the kitchen. I want to make salsa for canning. This means I will have to buy some hot peppers from the farm down the lane. I did not get any planted this year. I've been so utterly disorganized. Not that I eat hot peppers, that's Mike's thing to do. I can't stand hot. I'll be making salsa for HIM. Also I will be making jelly if I have enough elderberries, or enough rose hips yet. If not, they will be just juiced and frozen until I can make my jelly.

Going off on a tangent here, why is it when someone finds out you can they automatically think you are going to give them some of your hard earned canned goods? FOR FREE to boot. Someone asked if I was busy and if I could do a favor for them and I mentioned that NO, I would be too busy canning. The next words out of their mouth was to ask for some. HUH!!! I think NOT. These are for MY pantry in the winter. I don't want to be selfish of course, but I work hard to grow my food and then spend hours prepping and canning it I do not want to just give it away. I am willing to bend over backwards most times to help folks out but this I draw the line. Especially if they are someone who are perfectly capable of having their own garden and making their own food and are far more well off then I am. If they choose not to garden, they can buy their food from the stores. I would rather not buy food from the stores therefore I garden. It's a choice I made. I only wish I had more time to garden more and more space to do it in. And never mention to anyone that you have a sewing machine and can sew. People get SO pushy wanting you to do favors for them like hemming. For FREE. They downright seem to expect it. I have barely enough time to take of what I need to do at this point in my life without adding other peoples to-do's to my list. And fresh bread. Lord, if someone finds out you make your own bread, the requests start coming in. I don't have enough hours in the day to make bread from myself most days.

But I digress....getting back to the topic at hand. Sunday. Yes. That will also be the start of my self imposed "spending diet". It's my accountability day as well and I haven't even tended to my garden bed of shame so I best fit it in somewhere, maybe Saturday after the fair. I am sad to say I am going to have to BUY mulch, unless I can get some half rotten compost from the pile which needs to be turned anyway. I would hate to have to buy mulch when I'm used to getting it for free BUT I really need to get my weeds under control or next year will be worse.

So that is the preweekend report. I will not be able to log on from home for a couple days most likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment