Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Just throwing some ideas out there.

So I haven't been exactly as sustainable as I would like to be. OK, I haven't been very green at all, truth be told. My footprint is pretty big. Not as big as some, but I'm sure its big. So I am going to put myself ON A DIET, so to speak. So starting next Sunday, I will begin. I will begin with no more eating out! By that I don't mean the once or twice a year we go out to a sit down place to eat. I mean no more buying food at the work cafeteria or on the run. I will have to plan ahead and keep snacks for those long hours at work when I am on call to avoid hitting the vending machines too. No more buying water or pop and coffee either. I have perfectly good water bottles in my hiking gear, I need to use those instead. No more buying magazine from the newsstand at work. I have PLENTY to read and re-read for a while. I will do this for a week and see how it works out.

Why not start now? Well, Sunday just seems like a good day to start. Why not? Sundays always seems like a fresh start kind of day to me. Besides, if I start my 'diet' now, I won't be able to go the the Porter County Fair on Saturday. WOHOO! The fair!

Here are some good things I have done so far this week! I rescued some things that were going to the trash at work as they are remodeling here. I saved a wall mail holder as my Mike  is always sticking mail and bills in annoying ;) places. It was black and in good shape. I could not see letting that go to the landfill. And even if it had been scratched up I would of painted it. Now it is on the wall at home by Mikes "office" and he is quite pleased with it. I also rescued some big wire baskets that could be used for all manner of things. They are very sturdy. I haven't decided WHAT I am going to use them fore. I'm thinking on using them to store canned goods in them, or keeping my potted plants on the patio in them (to keep them off the ground so ants don't build nests in them) or for storing crafts....So many possibilities.....

But I am on the lookout of a good old desk right now. Preferably free from someones garbage pile, that is in repairable condition or even great condition. Mike's computer desk has no handy drawers to keep papers and envelopes in or other important necessities tidy. Just something simple with drawers. Eventually I will find one, I just have to be patient. With my dogs, who LOVE nothing better then to get their paws on things they can shred all over the house, everything has to be safely tucked away out of reach somewhere so it helps to have drawers. If I don't find one soon roadside, I'll try to find one at a thrift store.

No comments:

Post a Comment