Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Strawberries



I have two types of strawberries one is a June bearer called "Sparkle" that goes nuts here and gives me loads of berries and runners. While the other seems to not spread by runners but can be divided once in a while into more plants that I picked up at a local nursery labeled as "Berries Galore" . Both have very tasty berries. Sparkle is well known for it's quality for freezing and making jams with as well as eating as is. Very sweet and flavorful. I never have to add sugar. Very vigorous growers so they need room. Because Sparkle is so hardy, its a good type for those of us in more northern climes. It breezes through my winters just fine.

Sparkle
5/14/10
Photobucket
5/29/10
6/6/10
The four on the front end are "berries galore", the rest are "Sparkle".
Today I weeded the strawberry rows and cut the trailers. Harvested some more strawberries.

Berries Galore
6/11/10

Ever bearer starting to ripen.

6/16/10
Starting to harvest on the ever bearing. The berries are HUGE, sweet, juicy. and very tasty, somewhat in taste to wild strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment