Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Just Chilling

I hope everyone had a fun or at least productive long weekend. Here is the latest update of my world.

On Friday I took the new pup, Millie, to the vet for de-worming and vaccinations. Her previous owner had gotten her the first set of vaccinations way back in March but never followed up with the rest and though she'd been tested positive for worms they had not treated that either. The poor baby was chock full of roundworms which we had dealt with on Friday. Because of this we did not take her out to start rabbit training with a kind fellow who offered to help train with his dogs as we did not want anyone catching round worms from Millie.

The weather was hot and humid again so I did not get as much yard work done as I wanted on either of the days. I am also waiting for two loads of mulch for the garden and so that has delayed me somewhat.

Saturday wonderful husband and I went thrift store shopping after we got the grocery shopping done. For less then $12 we got 6 pairs of shorts for husband, a cute bell for Millie's collar, curtains for all the windows (A big one for the huge window and another I cut down to fit the other windows), a pair of scrub pants for me (brand new!) and a couple cute decorative tins for the kitchen. Dear husband is really getting into the thriftier mood now. I hope that trend continues.

Sunday, hot again but I had picked lots and lots of strawberries. I made waffles and topped them with strawberries as a treat, then shared a lot of berries with my neighbor who brought me a Siberian iris division which I have in a pot for now until I get it planted. I also pulled some large green onions to share with her. I had to drag out the hose to water the desperately dry garden. I try to hold off as long as possible but EVERYTHING was bad.

Monday, hot and humid again. I did some weeding in the garden and had to water again. I washed my car. 10 minutes later I watched a storm blow in. Hubby came out to see and we quickly affirmed our plan of escape and seeking shelter should it get really bad. The dark clouds rushed in, huge gusts of chilled wind that felt really good rushed down as the wall cloud neared and moved quickly over us. Neighbors all came out of their trailers gazing up at the cloud to make sure no funnels could be seen. There are no shelters here and trailers are death sentences if a twister comes through. The sudden wind blew around garbage cans, patio umbrellas and made an impressive show.  The wind died down shortly after but was followed by thunder and heavy bursts of rain which the thirsty garden rejoiced in.

Today was thick fog this morning. I did not sleep well. I watched a move called The Road before I went to bed which was thoroughly depressing. I almost felt like jumping a cliff after that movie and of course it gave me uneasy nightmares. Its a good movie, but I don't recommend it. If I had known how depressing it was I would of passed on watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment