Saturday, June 19, 2010

This week's happenings.

Work, work, and more work. I've been very busy at work this week so I haven't much felt like gardening even though I did get my new Eastern White Pine planted into the garden. The soil there is horrible so I hope it does OK. I mulched it well and put a wire cage around it to keep any critters from having it for lunch.

We had some bad storms come through again, luckily nothing was damaged in the garden. Just an empty pot was blown around. I think the apple tree is big enough now that it helps shield the patio from those strong winds that used to steal anything not tied down and send it to the next county.

Jack is doing well after his neutering. I don't think he even realizes he's missing his...um...parts. He still tries to get his jolly on with Brandi dog.

I sold another lemon balm and I have an order for 6 divisions of stella d oro day lilies. I'll have to dig them up on Thursday.

I'm still waiting on my free bark mulch......I really really need it. I'm beginning to lose hope that it will ever arrive.

Weeded a bunch today, but still have so much weeding to do. I weeded the memorial bed and around the new rose bush that had a bunch of lambs quarters, poppies and other weeds come up like crazy and take over. I'm trying to get the weeds before they go to seed, some have started blooming. I toss the bodies of my enemies into the compost pile--removing any flowers and seed heads which get tossed, or any really invasive roots which gets tossed in the garbage too. I can't risk that in my compost, I have enough weeds, thanks.

The lettuce I've grown this year is really bitter. Too bitter for me. I'm wondering if cooking it will make it taste any better. Even the types that are usually mild are bitter. I'm thinking it is all the heat we've been having.

I'm loving the baby carrots though, I try to stay out of them but they make lovely snacks so I do not know if many will make it to adult hood. I will buy more packs of seeds for that kind next year, the rainbow carrots.

Tomatoes have grown a bunch, nearly as tall as me now but the only one with any fruits on them yet is the early girls and they are no where near ripe yet.

The beets are ready for harvesting. I want to pickle some as I think they taste best that way. Otherwise they taste like dirt to me but I may roast a few in the oven.

I need to plant my free pepper plants I got from the nursery the other day and I need to plant some beans, another hill of squash and some chard.

I need to dead head everything as well.......

No comments:

Post a Comment